PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry is advising Malaysians to limit the number of people going to pick up overseas arrivals, in light of a new Covid-19 cluster from Russia.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah also reminded those returning to minimise contact with others and to maintain social distancing.
He said three cases were detected in the “Novgorod cluster”, with the first being a Malaysian returning from Russia on July 5.
He was found to be positive when screened during entry to Malaysia, before being admitted to the Sungai Buloh Hospital.
The second case was that of a friend of the first case who boarded the same flight and tested negative at the airport, only to display symptoms of the disease on July 7 and retest as positive, said Dr Noor Hisham.
One of his family members then tested positive for Covid-19.
Until yesterday, three positive cases were detected with 14 close contacts in the cluster, with all contacts testing negative so far.
“The investigation and activities to trace close contacts are actively continued, ” Dr Noor Hisham said in a statement yesterday.
He added that four family members had picked up the second person, who later tested positive, from the airport.
Those under home surveillance, he said, should adhere to the guidelines provided, including staying at home at all times and limiting visitors to the home.
Dr Noor Hisham said that only a few family members should pick up those who just returned to the country.
He said he hopes that the public will cooperate to prevent the spread of the disease among family members.
Malaysia saw seven new cases yesterday, bringing the total number to 8,725 cases.
Source: The Star Online